Thursday, May 12, 2005

Re*con*tex*tual*ize

I recontextualized Cathy's paper in three ways:

  1. Cathy wrote the paper to turn in for herself. I've taken it out of the context of being something done for Cathy's grade, and placed it into the context of something for my grade.
  2. I placed the copy of Cathy's paper into a plastic sleeve. To get the copy, I had to flatter Cathy and tell her that I'd really like to see what she wrote. When the paper wouldn't quite fit in the plastic sleve, I had to slice off an eighth of an inch from the right edge. Then I had to make an asthetic decision about what to do with the cut-off strips of paper, which I resolved by slipping them in there, just-so, partially concealing yet also revealing the "original author's" title page. The plastic sleve functions as a framing device, which calls into question the paper's context. Is it still a term paper, or is it now one of the elements which comprise the work After Mosbrucker #1?
  3. Then there's the matter of all this drivel that you're (hopefully) reading now. Cathy's paper didn't require all this mishegas* o The fact that my project includes and necessitates a trip to the (freakin') world wide web takes it out of the context of the text that I ripped off.

____________________
*mishegas ois Yiddish for "foolishness" or "insanity"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home